Thursday, December 27, 2012

Meet Mr. Jack Lalanne and Mr. Vitamix

So, I have told you about juicing and how it makes me feel healthier and stuff. I swear if we would be consuming these smoothies and juices as much as that fancy coffee we would all feel so much better. NO LIE! :)
Here is my Jack Lalanne Juicer~ it is a juice extractor

You can take just about any fresh vegetable or fruit and put it through this and all the juice comes out minus the pulp. I will show you the machine in action in another post, maybe a vlog. The only things you can't put inside it that I can think of are bananas and if you put a citrus fruit in it you must peel it before. Most other veggies can just be cut to a size that will fit in the chute. In the infomercial, it shows them putting whole apples in, those have to have been some REALLY TINY APPLES! I do love this juicer when I am looking for something first thing in the morning to pick me up. Here are just a few of the recipes that I use.
Recipe 1~ Energy Juice
handful parsley
4-6 carrots
1 apple

Recipe 2~Green Surprise
1 large kale leaf
2-3 green apples seeded
lime twist (not juiced)

My beloved Vitamix!

So, I love, love, love my Vitamix! How do I love it let me count the ways! Love the way it can blend me a smoothie, hummus, tahini, soups, sorbets, mixed drinks, the list is endless! I can even make my own flour from rice or other grains, if I buy this other carafe. I haven't gone that far yet.....YOU HEARD ME...YET!

I do feel a transition happening! I am going from buying boxed items, to always wanting to make & mix my own ingredients if I can, I mean fresh is so much better. I love when I know I can pronounce all the ingredients of the things I just fed my family. But, you know there ARE TIMES when convenience trumps all, and time is of the essence and I AM RUNNING to buy that box of waffles OR PANCAKE MIX. I am still balancing it, when I feel I have the time to go au natural I do, AND WHEN I DON'T........... I DON'T. And, I better not hear a peep from anyone, or I will put THEM in the Vitamix! Lol!

This is what I had today. Yum!


Recipe 1~ Green Berry
Couple of handfuls of spinach
1cup frozen strawberries
1cup of water
*1heaping tablespoon of ground flax seed (optional)

Recipe 2~Sin Nombre (Nameless) :( How about something that starts with Green
2 handfuls of spinach
2 oranges (peeled, quartered and frozen night before)
2 bananas (peeled, sliced and frozen night before)
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1cup water
*1 heaping tablespoon ground flax seed (optional)

Recipe 3~Green Monster
2 bananas (peeled, sliced and frozen night before)
2 large handfuls of spinach
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp all natural peanut butter
*1 heaping tablespoon ground flax seed (optional)

Dr. Oz's Green Drink - Can be made in either the Jack Lalanne Juicer or Vitamix
2 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 head of celery
1/2 inch of fresh ginger root
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 lemon

Remember, I am not a medical Doctor! Just sharing my experiences with ya!

The Dr. Oz smoothie or juice, makes a lot, about 28-30oz, just put what you are not drinking immediately in an airtight container. (you will be surprised by how much juice comes out of a cucumber!) Also, I peel my cucumbers. Lastly, when I had this the first time, I added some sugar, til I got used to it.

*Flax seed is said to be a super food that has omega 3 & 6...check it out! I only put in in the amount of smoothie I am about to consume, because if not it makes it kind of thick and goopy after a while...but you don't taste it in the smoothie at all Just make sure, as I mentioned to only put it ONLY in what you are going to consume right away!

So here are a few of the recipes that I use on a regular basis. The awesome thing is that you can really just gather up or mix and match what you like. The important thing is to get something green in there. maybe try to add some protein via the yogurt, protein powder and a fruit to hide all the stuff you don't like.

You may not LOVE it all at first. I added a few spoonfuls of sugar here and there when I first started and now, I never do! Your palate adjusts and you are on the road to feeling good!

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to focus on the juicer with such a beautiful model posing next to it... :-)

    ReplyDelete