Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Crack....your new addiction!

I hope I get this done right. I am a total newbie blogger. By the way....WHO came up with this ugly word "blogger"? Eeeew, I hate saying it. Anyways....on to more pleasant things!
 
 
 

Christmas Crack


Raise your hands in the air if you have tried Christmas Crack? It is better than CRACK....I think. Well, it won't get you incarcerated if you get caught with it. Score one for Christmas Crack! I do think the Popo (lol, I have never used that word in my life....but I chuckle everytime someone says it) would confiscate your baggie of Christmas Crack if they found it on you! Never tried the street version, I gotta be honest. However, after eating the batch of Christmas Crack I cooked up in my own kitchen, I would venture to say that the addiction I feel for this ooey, gooey, butter laden mix would closely rival that of any person with a regular crack addiction. You make this stuff and, you must dole it out in small portions and when your husband and kids finish what you gave them......make sure you have the rest locked up. They will search the house, tear it apart looking for the rest! AND, if you are trying to make this for a holiday gathering, try to make sure that you find a really good hiding place for it.....because if you don't....you will pull out an empty tray when your guests arrive. Oh, and you must protect it from your wandering hand as well! You will be ingesting it like crazy, savoring every morsel and then.......JUST MAKE 2 BATCHES! It really will save your sanity....lol.


                                               ***  Gratuitous close up***

Here is the coveted recipe


1~ 12.8 oz box of Rice Chex Cereal
1~12     oz  box of Golden Grahams Cereal
1~ 7      oz  bag of  shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups    (3) sticks of butter
2           cups of granulated sugar
2           cups of corn syrup

*candy thermometer*

Feel free to add any nuts if you like. The original recipe I found called for almond slivers, but so many people have nut allergies...I have decided to omit them. Add nuts of any kind you like, if your family will not end up in the E.R. :)

First you are going to have to find a vessel large enough to accommodate the total of 24 oz worth of cereal, plus the shredded coconut. This container must be able to handle the heat of the corn syrup mix as well. I start with this because you want to have something you can mix all this up in real good and one batch makes 2 cookie trays worth of good stuff. So, its a lot!

Okay, so this time for reals though: In a large heat safe vessel, mix the cereals and shredded coconut. (and any nuts if you choose.)

In a stock pot, heat the butter, sugar and corn syrup to the soft ball stage on your candy thermometer.
All ingredients in the pool!
 
                                                 Candy thermometer at soft ball stage around 234 degrees
 

 Now, very, very, carefully, pour the heated mixture over the cereal mixture. Now stir this until the cereal is completely coated with the syrupy mix. When it is well coated, transfer to 2 cookie sheets and spread evenly.



Let cool. Consume. You are now addicted...right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment