Sunday, November 3, 2013

30 Days of Thanks ~ Day 2

So yesterday I went to a Dia De Los Muertos celebration and it was so awesome. We went to one last year and loved the sugar skulls, the Ballet Folklorico, the art and the food. It was a wonderful time celebrating the circle of life and remembering loved ones that have passed on. The colors used in these commemorations of loved ones are vibrant, the music so full of emotion and the food is delicious. (We were to lazy this time to stand in line for elotes or tacos. Lol, shame on us, we went to Farmer Boys..lol) As I walked the streets of this festival, I realized how grateful I was to be in possession of all my five senses. I could smell the incense burning from the altars, see the day light dissipate and the night begin to take over, feel the sugar skulls in my hands, I could hear the band as they played their traditional music and at the end of the night, I could taste the food that we ate.

 I am lucky, I am blessed! I know what it sounds like to hear my children say my name. I know what they sound like when they are scared, happy or sad. I can hear music.

 I can feel what it's like to walk, jump and run. Sadly the latter of the two NEVER HAPPEN....BUT, if I was being chased by zombies, I am sure I could manage to do both. (I hope.) I know what it feels like to hold my kids' hands, what it feels like to hug my hubby and what my hubby's face feels like when he feebly attempts to join in on Movember but will never fully be a part of because I am not a fan of facial hair. ( Mainly though, because his facial hair is very patchy and he couldn't grow a moustache or a beard to save his life. Thank God! Lol.)

 I can TASTE!!! My belly may reject the scrumptious things that I send its way, but before it tries to reject it I can relish the flavors.

I can smell. I can smell flowers, food, popcorn at the movie theatre, kettle corn....YUM! I do wish there was an off button for the stinky smells though...lol.

I can see. I can see my kids play sports. I can see their faces when they succeed, fail and when they are determined. I can also tell when my little angels are lying...lol. I can see the beauty in this life through my eyes and I am grateful for that.

I am thankful for the ability to fully experience this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment