Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Restaurant Style Thai Iced Tea

My husband and son L*O*V*E Thai Ice Tea. I do not share their LOVE for this drink, I do however love THEM!!! So, when you love someone you do stuff that makes them happy...que no??? So, I checked stuff out on YouTube and came across a recipe to try. The YouTube channel is called CookingThaiFood. Here is the link to her page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUTlvsnyXGc ....let's see if I can get this right!!! My husband found the Thai Tea at the 99Cent Ranch Market (an Asian grocery chain in our area) and here is what the box looked like. They were individually packed tea bags, and the lady used 1 WHOLE cup of Thai Tea, so I cut open 1 cup worth of those individual tea bags. It ended up being the entire contents of the 2 boxes that he purchased. Here is what you are going to need:

 1 Cup Thai Tea Leaves
 2 Cups of Sugar
 8 Cups of water
 2 Ounces of evaporated milk

Directions: Bring 8 cups of water to a vigorous boil. When water reaches a boil, pour in Thai Tea Leaves and 2 cups of sugar. Reduce heat to a low simmer and keep at that temperature for 2 minutes. When 2 minutes have elapsed, remove from heat and let tea come to room temperature. Pour Tea through a sieve or strainer of some kind. Make sure you use something that will remove all particles of tea leaves so that all sediment is removed. I am hoping my French Press will do the job!



Here is the brand of tea we bought. As I mentioned, I cut each individual tea bag open and poured its contents in to a measuring cup. I used two whole boxes and that equaled 1 whole cup of loose Thai Tea leaves.

Here is what the individual tea packet looked like unopened.

Here is the pot with the tea and sugar in the 8 cups of water AFTER it came to a boil and was simmered for 2 minutes. It is cooling.

Here is the Thai Tea, it was cooled in the fridge and then I poured it in to the ice filled glass. I then topped about the last 1/3 of the cup with evaporated milk.

It looks so cool as the evaporated milk mixes in with the dark colored tea and swirls all around! Beautiful!

***THIS WAS JUST AS GOOD AS WE HAVE HAD AT ANY RESTAURANT***

My husband and son LOVED IT!!!!!! I have had it when we have gone to restaurants so I recognize the flavors and they were ALL THERE!!! YAY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank You for trying this, my husband is Thai but he didn't know the exact measurements. We all love it and will definitely being doing this soon. We have a very large tin of it waiting to be brewed when he gets home from deployment next week. Thanks

    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that he is coming home! Let me know how authentic he thinks the recipe is!!! Lol, I was so excited with the results!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete