Tuesday, May 7, 2013

16 Symptoms of Hypothyroidism

                                Hypothyroidism


I have bored you with tales of my health issues and will now bore you some more! Hehehehe! I share these things in hopes that people can share what has helped them, or it can let you know you are not alone. Besides, who wants to suffer in silence! Lol, no way, make everyone else suffer with you I always say! Hahaha, just kidding. I want to urge you to go to the doctor if you feel like something in your body seems, just not right. I haven't been feeling great health wise for a LONG time now. In the past year, it has been a steady, yet steep decline. I have lost tons of hair, my skin is so dry!!! Okay when I say dry, I mean dry, like in Gold Member where there are dry flakes of skin falling from him....like you could think it was snowing with all my dry skin flakes...disgusting? TOTALLY! I feel hideous! I love gooooooooold! No, not really, I don't, BUT GOLDMEMBER DOES! I am so tired,  even the littlest tasks seem daunting. I am cold almost always! I look like a freak, trudging around in Uggs, while everyone else enjoys the warmer weather. My memory is shot, hips and shoulders hurt and at one point my face was so puffy and I looked almost yellow. I feel like an 80 year old writing all these things! So, I was feeling so horrible at Thanksgiving and Christmas time last year. I talked to my mom, mother in law (they both have hypothyroidism) and a friend, and they all suggested that I should have my thyroid tested. I was so weak from all my GI issues and my anemia, I didn't get the test done real quick. I called my doctor and asked her for the test and she very nonchalantly was like, yeah, with all your symptoms, that seems like a reasonable test to administer. So she sent me the request in like December I think. My test came back abnormal. The Dr. assured me that it is a very common condition, she kept saying that. I am cool with it, I didn't freak out. I guess she thought I was going to, and she kept saying "very common" again and again. So, it crossed my mind, if this condition is so common why did I have to ask for the test and YOU didn't put the pieces of the puzzle together, huh...DOCTOR??? Ugh! I barely got tested 3 weeks ago. I don't know if that tells you how seriously tired I was/am.....plus I was in denial. I just kept attributing everything to the other issues. So, I have been on my thyroid medication for almost 3 weeks now. They say that it will take about a month for me to feel better. My message is that we have to be our own health advocates, we can not rely on someone else, even Doctors. They are a partner in our care, but we do have to do our own research. I know Doctors don't like us to consult the internet, but I feel that it has been more help to me than hindrance. PLEASE GO GET CHECKED if you have some of these symptoms. Here are some of the symptoms of Hypothyroidism.............

Hypothyroidism:
  1. Fatigue
  2. Increased sensitivity to cold
  3. Constipation
  4. Dry skin
  5. Unexplained weight gain
  6. Puffy face
  7. Hoarseness
  8. Muscle weakness
  9. Elevated blood cholesterol level
  10. Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
  11. Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
  12. Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
  13. Thinning hair
  14. Slowed heart rate
  15. Depression
  16. Impaired memory


Advanced hypothyroidism, known as myxedema, is rare, but can be life-threatening. Signs and symptoms include low blood pressure, decreased breathing, decreased body temperature, unresponsiveness and even coma. In extreme cases, myxedema can be fatal........

**See get tested, it can be serious!**


Many of the symptoms are something that we just shrug off as a result of other things in life. Some people have it and DON'T even know it because they experience NO symptoms. Sofia Vergara is one of those people. She said she wasn't aware she had it! I am just trying to encourage you to get tested if you have several of these symptoms....my friends and family were kind enough to urge me to do so, and now, I am on my way to having this taken care of! Google Hypothyroidism to learn more, there are so many, many resources to provide you with information. By the way, Hypothyroidism can be hereditary......THANKS A LOT MOM! Just kidding, you know I love you! ;)

3 comments:

  1. So many women I know are on thyroid medication (including my mom). And my doctor checks my levels every year. Glad you were finally diagnosed...and hope you feel 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you get tested every year! Wish my doctor would have been doing that! Thank you! I am hoping to feel like myself again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to ask my doctor tomorrow to get me tested. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete