Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Colorful Spinkletastic Cake

I have been on a colorful kick lately. If it is a bright color, I wanna wear it....but the children refuse to be seen with me......hmmm....wait! Wardrobe change! Hahaha, maybe I could actually go to the grocery store without a child breaking down because I refuse to buy them a Lunchable, since I HAVE lunch meat and cheese I can cut up for them at home!!!!! OMG! I found a loophole!!! Mommy will be dressing as a rainbow and you olders can stay and take of the youngers and I shall go vacation for an hour at the nearest grocery store. Here is what I picked up on my last vacation, (lol) not only will I be dressing as I rainbow, I shall consume its colors in abundance until the colors ooze from my pores and I see beautiful rainbow rays have replaced my own reflection in the mirror....okay, that is a total lie. I have to eat gluten free, so I don't eat these goodies, but I sure have fun admiring the colors when they are done and seeing my kiddos admire the pretty colors too! Now, if I was making this for a party, I would have made more layers, but since it wasn't and I just wanted to try out the process, I only used one box of cake mix. I was only able to make two layers with one cake box mix and since they didn't bake up evenly, I lost a little cake. Slicing off the top to even the layers, gave the kids a little something to keep them from poking at the cake and gave us a glimpse at the beautiful colors that were hiding inside. (the top of the cakes turn brownish when baked up.)

You will need one white cake box mix.


Get a cup and cover with a sandwich baggie.


Get one ladle full of batter and place inside of the baggie that you covered your cup with.


Now get your food coloring. I used electric food color gels, they bake up to gorgeous vibrant colors! You can use liquid colors, but the colors will be slightly muted. I placed 3 squirts into each cup.


Now using a separate spoon for every color, mix in the food gel until well incorporated.


Now take out as much air from the bag and seal shut. If you have spots that are still white, just massage the color until it is all well colored.


Now snip a small corner off of the bag and squeeze half of the contents in the bag into one 8 inch cake pan and the other half into another 8 inch cake pan. Once you have done that, shake the batter so that it spreads. For your next color, again empty half of the contents of your sandwich baggie into the center of the color that you previously poured. I chose the colors to according to how vibrant they looked to the next.


Here is what it looked like once I was done with all the colors. My first color, the electric pink, got lost!!! Boo to that! But, the colors, oh the colors....sooo, soooo, Dr. Seussy....right?  


Here is the top that I lopped off to even my cake out and the kids were so happy to see its beauty!




Now here is why I called it a SPINKLETASTIC CAKE!!!!! I threw sprinkles EVERYWHERE! I tell ya, if the kids had been standing still enough, I would have frosted them and covered them in sprinkles too! They were too fast for me....DAMN!


I tried my best to capture the beautiful colors, but failed miserably. Had I made more layers, you would have seen its TRUE GLORY....or better yet, YOU can try to make it yourself and behold its fabulosity with thine own eyes!


No comments:

Post a Comment