Wednesday, October 16, 2013

How to make Albondigas


 
ALBONDIGAS~ yummy! Yesterday afternoon, I was able to make some. I was so happy because last week when it was cold and rainy, I got a major craving for albondigas. I thought maybe the craving would pass, but then one of my friends posted that she was making some and my craving went into overdrive...lol. Yesterday I killed the craving! OMG, it was so delicious. Now I am thinking of chilaquiles next...so stay tuned!
 
Would you like to know how to make them? I am pretty certain your family will be a big fan! Get your tomatoes, garlic cloves, half an onion and 1~2 chiles (optional) and toast them in a skillet until the skins are brown and the onion looks a little caramelized. Place that in your blender, add 1 cup of water and blend. empty this "salsa" into a large stock pot. Add one 15 oz can of tomato sauce. Now here is where I don't have exact measurements. I think I have warned you about my weakness in this area before...lol. Okay so now you want to add water add as much as you would like there to be soup. Now it's time to season, add Caldo de Pollo (aka Chicken Knorr) to taste. Now the base of your soup is done. For the albondigas, get ground beef, (I used 80/20) add 1/4 of an onion finely diced, 1/3 cup of rice per LB of ground beef and 1 egg per LB of ground beef. Mix until well incorporated and form meatballs. To keep mine uniform in size, I used my ice cream scoop. Add those to your soup base. Now this is the fun part, add veggies that you love! You are the boss! I used cabbage, zucchini, corn, potatoes and some carrots. Now cook until meatballs are cooked through and veggies are nice and tender.
 
Sorry for not having measurements and all. I will come back and update this the next time I make it, with more precise measurements. Maybe I will do a YouTube video as well.
 
Have a fabulous day and enjoy your soup. Please feel free to tell me how you make them! I know everyone does different variations. I know some people fry them before they put them in the soup...I love to hear new methods!!
 
 
 
 

Everybody in the blender.

Eggs, rice, onion and a little bit of caldo de pollo into the albondigas.

Albondigas the size of an ice cream scoop.

It all adds up to a delicious soup that warms the belly and soul!!!

8 comments:

  1. Does the soup turn out spicy? Making it for the first time & i want my 5 yr old to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I believe it is uncooked. That is how we have always made it. Using uncooked rice.

      Delete
    2. It is uncooked. Cook the meatballs for about 30-45 minutes alone in the broth, and then add in veggies and simmer some more. Once the rice is fully cooked throughout a meatball, then soup is done.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used about 42oz of water and that was good enough. Came out really good. I also used two Chile’s it was a little spicy but not too much. My kids loved it and they are 2,5 and 7 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is so close to the one my mama used to make. My dad would make the meatballs. My family loved it. My parents were born and raised in Mexico so I think this recipe is quite authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipe puts in too much egg. I used 6 pounds of meat and it says use 1 egg per pound, but it came out too watery!! The albóndigas fell apart! Great recipe overall just watch out how many eggs you really need!

    ReplyDelete