Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gloomily Going Gluten Free

glu·ten
/ˈglo͞otn/


Noun
A substance present in cereal grains, esp. wheat, that is responsible for the elastic texture of dough.

 
 I entered this gluten free schlep under doom and gloom circumstances. This isn't some fad diet that I am trying out. Not that I am anti fad diets...lol. I am just anti any diet that takes away all joy in life. You don't realize what an emotional attachment you have to all the wheat, barley and rye filled goodies you have in your life, until you can't have it. (good thing I am not a beer drinker) And whoa, did this deprivation stir up some angry beasts that reside in my belly.

I began this unfortunate adjustment to my diet at the advice of the doctors during one of my many visits to the E.R.. My tummy was so irritated that it was revolting every time I ate! One of my tests indicated that I had the beginning signs of Celiacs Disease, so it made sense when I was told to go gluten free. I didn't take this info to heart...in fact, I didn't listen. It was the second time I was told this, that I accepted this as a method to heal my body. See, my thoughts were, how can I mysteriously "develop" an intolerance to something that I have consumed all my life and had been fine with. It must be something else, I told myself. Well, after my second to last E.R. visit, I was willing to give it a go, only because really scary things were happening in my body....I shall spare you the gory details.

I got home and was hungry...let's stop and get something to eat......that's laughable! Fast food joints that usually made me smile while drool spilled from my mouth, now made me want to punch them in the face! The devastating reality hit and I realized that wheat is a practically inescapable ingredient and has weaseled its way into almost every item that comes in a box or is packaged OR TASTES GOOD! So, there will be no bowl of cereal, no piece of toast or garlic bread, no cakes, no flour tortillas, no pasta, no canned soup, no soy sauce, no crackers.........NO, NO, NO, NO! That's all I heard!

When I first began this endeavor, (it was not a true choice but one my body was forcing me to make) major meltdown mode to set in. I was angry that everyone else got to eat burgers, biscuits, pancakes, doughnuts, cakes, cookies and everything else that tastes great! I cried, yes, tears ran down my face when I was frustrated from checking food labels trying to figure out what I could eat. In the end, once my emotions had subsided and I regained control of myself and I could feel the healing in my body, I surrendered to the trendy gluten free lifestyle. I cried the first time I had a brownie that actually tasted like a brownie. There is major progress happening on the gluten free scene and many educating and recipe filled blogs to inform us gluten free newbies on how to handle this transition! So, here is what my pantry looks like.....even the packaging looks sad to be gluten free right!
 
It seems to be saying in some hippy fashion statement "it is what inside that counts!"
 
I have now embraced being gluten free and juicing, ONLY because it has made me feel so much better! Sometimes I do stray from the path and when I do, there are consequences that my body makes sure to enforce upon me, making sure I remember my sad, sad limitations.
 
 There is a book out titled Wheat Belly, I have only read a few excerpts from it and seen the author do interviews. What I have heard and read so far makes so much sense! Maybe I should read the whole book....will keep you posted on that!
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry girl! I can't even begin to imagine how hard this has been on you. I am trying to cut out processed food in the house and it is DAMN HARD. I took candy out last month and let me tell you I thought the kids were going to kick me out. But feeling better is so much better than that quick good feeling you get from something that tastes so good but is so bad for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, just saw that you left a comment! Yeah, it is tough right!!! Oh, I bet your kids were not happy! I try to hide the candy from the kids...lol! I have to be very clever because they are too smart!

      Delete