Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ginger~ spicy & brown ~ like me!

I am sharing this little diamond of information with you because of how much it has helped me. First note, I have always hated ginger. I have always been turned off by it's smell and funky bulbous look. But, if this life has taught me anything, it has taught me to never say never. (Side bar, life taught me that lesson rather cruelly, so take MY WORD for it PLEASE.....never say never!) Anyhow, ugh, I would see my people loving pickled ginger and fresh ginger and ginger candy......EEEWWW, SICK, GROSS!!!! Then, this rather hideous looking little root kept popping up everywhere, it was touted as being chock full of benefits that seemed tailored to fit my needs. Still I resisted, because I wondered if I could tolerate something I detested. Then I began to think of all the dishes that I DID like that contained ginger and how it could be used in a subtle manner. Ginger is spicy, pungent and verrrrrry aromatic. Hmmm, I figured I would at least give it a try. After all, Dr. Oz has yet to steer me wrong!

I started by just getting a slice, about 1/2 an inch and letting that sit in some boiling water. I then added honey and lemon juice (both have their own specific health benefits) to taste. Cut to the chase, this Ginger hater, has done an about face! WHAT????? Yeah, I know! I am so tricky! I am a freakin chameleon, like it today, hater tomorrow, vice versa! Bam! No one can hold me down, you can't pigeonhole me, I CHANGE, I go with the flow!

So, it only stands to reason then, that if a little can help, more is better...RIGHT??? So, I brought my trusty little Vitamix in on this next operation, I wanted to pulverize the ugly looking little root so I could extract every little ounce of "benefit" it had to offer. So, I peeled it, pulverized it and now I had what looked like ginger sludge. Whoa! Stings the nostrils something fierce! But, I would not be deterred! Trying to hold me off from your "benefits" with your overwhelming odor....pshhh....don't try it little root...I WIN! I ALWAYS DO! ;) So, now twice daily I have a heaping tablespoon of ginger, honey, lemon and a tsp of cinnamon in a little tea concoction that helps me feel oh so good. So, when you sit by me, you may get a strong craving for asian food and NOW, you will know why! ;)




Ginger is known to help with nausea, it is a digestive~aid and an anti~inflammatory. I trust that you will do your own research and not just take my humble lil ol word for things.


GINGER, YOU ROCK, YOU ARE SMALL, BROWN AND UNDERNEATH YOUR FUNKY EXTERIOR LIES A TRUE TREASURE! (I refer to myself and the ugly little root....why not take a little time to give myself some love!)

Have a great day amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment